On 15 March, Cruiser Division 6 departed Hawaii to return to Majuro, arriving on 20 March. [5] On 28 April, Wichita departed on her first major operation with the British. [9] The 20 mm gun had a rate of fire of 465–480 rounds per minute; they had a ceiling of 10,000 ft (3,000 m).

While on patrol on 17 June, Wichita spotted a German Focke-Wulf Fw 200 reconnaissance bomber and opened fire, though without result. On 16 January 1944, she departed to take part in the invasion of the Marshall Islands. Repairs were completed on 2 July, after which Wichita was transferred to Newport, Rhode Island.

The ships were tasked with neutralizing the primary French defenses, which included coastal guns on El Hank, several submarines, and the incomplete battleship Jean Bart which lay at anchor in the harbor.

She also carried eighteen Oerlikon 20 mm guns in single mountings.

[5], Wichita was present during the Battle of Leyte Gulf, which started on 23 October. At the end of February, Wichita returned to Norfolk via Philadelphia, where she participated in further training through May. There, she was assigned to the Sixteenth Fleet and was placed in reserve on 15 July. She left port on 27 January bound for the east coast of the United States; she transited the Panama Canal on 5–9 February and reached Philadelphia on 14 February.

Included in the ports of call were Rio de Janeiro and Santos in Brazil, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and Montevideo, Uruguay. Wichita left the damaged ships on 21 October, after they had successfully reached safer waters. The task force returned to the seas off Truk on 29 April for a second round of airstrikes on the port. While in Scapa Flow, King George VI inspected Wichita on 7 June. Repairs and modifications for further Magic Carpet duty were completed by 1 December. She returned to the United States, docking at the New York Navy Yard, on 23 March.

Wichita participated in the Naval Battle of Casablanca, which began early on the morning of 8 November. Wichita continued to support the demolition teams the next day, as well as shelling targets ashore.

Task Force 39, commanded by Rear Admiral John W. Wilcox, Jr., included Wasp, the battleship Washington, the cruiser Tuscaloosa, and eight destroyers. On 10 October, the fleet reached the waters off Okinawa and launched the strike. 2001年、, E・B・ポッター/秋山信雄(訳)『BULL HALSEY/キル・ジャップス!

[41] The following day, Wichita steamed into Nakagusuku Bay to shell a coastal battery. Wichita and Tuscaloosa closed on the port to engage the cruisers Primauguet and Gloire, still in the harbor. [20] The next day, while south of Spitzbergen, the ships were spotted and shadowed by a pair of Fw 200s. "USS DORADO (SS-248): On Eternal Patrol" was published by Douglas E. Campbell in November 2011. While en route, Wilcox was swept overboard in a heavy sea and lost.

She was therefore detached on 18 November for repairs in California, via Ulithi.

On 7 December 1941, the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, bringing the United States into World War II; on the day of the attack, Wichita lay at anchor at Hvalfjörður, Iceland.

Heavy fire from El Hank forced the American cruisers to retreat shortly after 15:00. [5], After returning to Hvalfjörður, Wichita steamed to Seidisfjord at the end of June, where she joined Tuscaloosa and three destroyers. She frequently provided antiaircraft defense for the Fast Carrier Task Force during operations in the central Pacific, including the Battles of the Philippine Sea and Leyte Gulf in 1944.